The ONE Campaign is a global campaign and advocacy organization co-founded by Bono and backed by more than seven and half million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid and trade reform. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed. ONE has offices in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York City, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Policy & Advocacy Manager will lead ONE Nigeria’s policy and advocacy work, and will be responsible for providing policy analysis and leadership on a number of our key policy issues, including development financing, global health, agriculture, nutrition as well as transparency and accountability. The Policy & Advocacy Manager will also keep abreast of, review, analyse, and advise on Nigeria – political and technical discussions related to development, aid and innovative finance. S/he will work closely with international policy colleagues, the Africa and Global Policy Directors, helping identify innovative and forward thinking trends and issues coming from Nigeria regarding development and aid, leveraging Nigeria efforts and leadership with a view to maximize Africa and global development policy impact, and advocating for Nigeria to embrace global best practices.
The ideal candidate will have strong research and analytical skills and will be a great team player and self-starter with excellent project management and communications skills.y. Demonstrable analytical experience and policy advisory work on Nigeria, Africa, Nigeria and Global public policy issues relevant to ONE’s mission.. This position reports directly to the Nigeria Director and will be based in our Abuja office.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Lead ONE’s policy and advocacy including coordinating Nigeria-based efforts, developing strategy, identifying policy objectives and key advocacy and lobbying opportunities
- Lead the design and development of policy products to inform advocacy and campaign strategies in Nigeria.
- Produce high quality research outputs and briefing to support ONE Nigeria’s advocacy and campaign activities and engagements.
- Lead on all policy & advocacy work associated with Nigeria campaigns, including managing relationships with relevant external lobby and campaigning groups, preparing documents on specific development issues for a range of stakeholders, lobby targets and audiences and crafting articles for blog posts, briefing documents and talking points
- Working closely with the Nigeria Director, the Global Policy Director and other relevant staff across the organisation, identify forward looking trends and issues within the development sector and develop strategies, projects and interventions around these as appropriate
- Provide policy analysis and writing on key Nigeria development policy issues, and provide Nigeria perspectives to on-going global policy discussions, ensuring global positions are compatible with the Nigeria and Africa wide market
- Ensure access for ONE to relevant high level meetings, gatherings, representing ONE at these meetings and deputising for senior staff as required
- Provide wider policy leadership and support on other key priority areas for ONE as required
- Work with ONE’s Nigeria and Africa, global policy, communications, advocacy and campaigns teams on priority issues and projects as necessary
- Any other duties as required by the role
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- Master’s degree (or its equivalent) in a development-related field, with at least eight years of work experience
- Significant policy analysis and policy advisory work in Nigeria.
- Significant experience of working on development policy in an NGO, think tank or government agency
- Experience working on issues of development, particularly in Africa with specific experience of working on issues pertaining to French development policies
- Experience of developing and overseeing the implementation of strategy
- A demonstrable understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and implementation of programs
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills with the ability to synthesise complex policy documents and translate these for a wider audience
- Superb professionalism and diplomacy; ability to interact with high-level individuals internally and externally
- Entrepreneurial spirit; does not mind unstructured and sometimes unpredictable environments
- Quick turnaround research skills-must have the ability to seek out key facts and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with shifting priorities and occasional heavy workloads
- Ability to work as part of a global team
- Previous work experience in Africa desirable
- Fluent English essential
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme hunger and preventable disease, please submit an application along with a resume and a cover letter to the jobs page of our website. This is a rolling recruitment. However, priority will be given to applicants that apply by Wednesday, March 30, 2017. We will conclude the process when the job has been filled. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in Nigeria without any restrictions need apply.